Thursday, October 8, 2009

What happens

It's been cloudy for many days, but then, is that so important?

I have developed an obsession for chai. I drink it very often. It started when we ran off to Taylor's Falls with the Wierings and Wierings. One of the Mrs. Wierings had chai in a thermos, and I obsessively drank it, that I could. We were playing four-on-a-couch when we got home, though, which didn't help for me to drink tea. At any rate, finally Papa has gotten some for my sake, and I'm drinking around four or five cups per day. >.> I think I should stop being sick and hopefully cut down on how much I drink. ^.^ More water, less tea.

I have also found out I like tea quite strong. A particular type of tea (I really doing know what it was) got excessively spicy when I steeped so long, but it really helps the throat, I think. I love tea.

Another feat of interest which has pranced upon my life is that we're renting a rental harp, and waiting for the 'permanent' rent-to-own harp is finished. The one I have now is a G-G cherry Lorraine by Stoney End harps, with G and C Loveland sharping levers. The one being made is an F-F cherry Sara by the same peoples, with full Truitt levers. I can't wait- only having C and G levers is rather disappointing. It limits what you can play quite a bit.

I have been 'teaching' myself to play- we've had the harp for some weeks now (all I know is I think the Sara is scheduled to be done in about two or one-and-a-half weeks), and I'm playing 'Let All Things Now Living', Greensleeves, 'All Things Bright and Beautiful', and some other random ones. I'm trying to make left-hand harmony for Gaudete (a Latin hymn of sorts which we sang at the gathering) and some queer haunting ancient hymn-tunes which Gabriel likes to play.

Gabriel also has developed an interest in pecking at the harp... he's like that, I suppose.

Because Andre's been learning to play guitar, Gina took the guitar out, too... and they're sort of contesting about how great THEIR versions of whatever song are, and so on, and I sort of sit in the middle of it, it seems. ^.^

Annnd I'm also trying to learn fiddle, though I haven't really done it much recently because I don't want to screech the siblings out of house and home. It is rather loud, to try to play it well; if you do it quietly it can sound odd. I can't even do vibrato very well anymore, but 'tis fine. Sometime I hope to get back into the old ways of playing violin, and I'll be vibratoing to death!

Along with everything else, I'm developing more interest in folksy instruments. Mostly Scotch and Irish ones, right now, but there are so many interesting instruments, it's ridiculous... trying to with to learn them all, or to have someone who knows one or two of them, or something. At least some people do have concertinas, bodhrans and so on. Do I forget? Hobgoblin Music has the most AMAZING instruments. Well, some of them. Really interesting... a weird wooden drum which sounds like a small log-drum, and a tiny hammered dulcimer, and them Appalachian dulcimers, and guitars, fiddles, concertinas, bagpipes, harps, etc. :) Annnd didgeridoos. Yes. They do have didgeridoos!

French goes fastly. It's like review. We children (I don't like to use kids, I'm afraid) were being taught French years ago, and so I know some, as well as pronunciation. I know pronunciation better now, but I knew some then... I just hope I won't anxiously forget everything I know when a test comes along (which one has).

Latin goes well, too. I suppose. I don't know whether I should say whether it goes well, yet, because we've still got light work. I'm getting more used to translating it all in a sitting, instead of being constantly distracted. I think my record today was translating it in about twoish hours... which is very good. It's always hard to start... the method for Latin III is very interesting; it's to teach you to read Latin, not to automatically translate it. Thus, it calls for a weird approach, but it's hard to explain. Vaguely, it's this: You read the passage through, then write down what you think it says, without looking to find out if that's what it really says (as in, no trying to figure it out), then, you look up all the words you don't know, and write them down. Next, keeping in mind the words you looked up, you read it again, writing what you think it says, without trying to figure it out. Then, you get to translate it. It really makes translating easier, I think, and in a way doesn't make translating so much like translating. It's fun. :)

Let me see. Another weird fact is that I'm 'practising' for taking taekwondo. That is, exercising. I am only remarkable in the feat of situps- one night I did one-hundred. Although, since I got sick, I haven't been doing much of anything because I get dizzy and feverish. My limbs are also very weak, for some reason. They collapse, sort of, and all, as though I've been working on them and I can't do any more, or something. It may simply be that I don't run around enough...

Let us hope I don't take it to my head, any of it. ^.^ I doubt I will. OH! An albino squirrel! We've had one running around. Yes, interesting.

So, that I may get some schoolwork done, I will zip away into all unrealisticness...

2 comments:

Andre said...

Pffff. Gina and I aren't contesting. There is nothing to contest. Mine versions of songs are all better, plain and simple. :-P

Nora Roisin said...

You are stuck-up, plain and simple. :P