Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A case(s?) for sanity

If you plan on damning a book, (as in, telling people it's a bad book and they should never dream of reading it) I would suggest reading it first. There are some books I may try to read but not be able to finish, but I've kind of decided with myself that I'll read books before I say they're bad to anyone.

It may be that I hear reviews from people whom I trust (such as, on the da Vinci Code and some others, although I may end up reading those sorts of books anyways), I may use that in my own opinionizing, but just reading articles and reviews can be misleading.

Whatever is said by the person you're reading will be moored, in its own way, to that person's view, whether they're crazily for the thing or terribly against it. I probably would only trust someone whom I believe I can trust, which is a stereotype that is hard to define (let's not go into that).

(Just off the top of my head, I want to give a little credit to the talk-show host I'm listening to now (with some of my siblings), Dennis Prager; I generally trust him on most things, although I disagree with him. I think it's almost completely impossible to utterly agree with someone on everything. :-) --random note--)

Where I got this from here is the Harry Potter issue- how people go around saying they're evil books when they haven't even read them, or when the person (in my opinion) is completely biased (no offense to some people I know; I'm not directing this at you).

Please, I'm just saying. I don't believe the Harry Potter books are evil. I may not agree with everything J.K. Rowling says and believes, but her books have a good moral, and... I believe they paint a very real image of humanity and some abstract things. And I think J.K. Rowling is very brilliant in how she goes about her writing.

Now, may I depart, having said what I meant to say... God sie mid þu, oþþe eow.

2 comments:

L. C. Russell said...

Yes, the diversity of opinion, even among Christians, is pretty amazing in this regard. Some think the Da Vinci Code is gripping fiction. ^.^

I agree that in most cases, it's best to read the book in question before condemning it, though.

Nora Roisin said...

Hm. Da Vinci Code might be good as a story, but I've heard it called propaganda, and if it is propaganda, as propaganda... it may not be good. ;) To some.

Oui.

Thanks for commenting, dear.